Role of DPP
click for large view
District Policing Partnerships have their basis in the Police (NI) Act 2000 (as amended) as “partnerships between the District Council and representatives of the local community"
Limavady DPP was established under Section 16 the Police (NI) Act 2000 in March 2003 with a purpose of:
- Provide views to the district commander on any matter concerning policing in the district
- Monitor the performance of the police in carrying out the policing plan
- Obtain the views of the public about matters concerning the policing of the district
- Obtain the co-operation of the public with the police in preventing crime
- Act as a general forum for discussion and consultation on matters affecting the policing of the district .
Reconstitution of the District Policing Partnerships in line with the above legislation took place on 2nd December 2005 and an outcome of the Northern Ireland (St Andrews Agreement) Bill in Nov 2006 required 23 District Policing Partnership’s to be reconstituted. This process was completed on the 1st April 2008.
Limavady DPP seeks:
“to engage with the public in order to impact on local policing, so that Limavady Borough becomes a safer place for all”.
Show respect and encourage participation. Remain focused, truthful, open, challenging and work with confidentiality.